The Compound Miter Saw
To purchase the best compound sliding miter saw for the money to increase the working potential of your workshop give the ability to produce quickly and accurately miter cuts.
It is necessary to understand the construction of the various miter saw tools available that would best meet your requirements.
The different options that are available in a miter saw are as follows:
- Saw blade size
- Standard Miter
- Sliding miter
- Compound miter
What each feature does determines the best miter saw for your workshop.
The saw blade selection is important as it can determine the maximum width of the material able to be cut.
Also the shape and number of teeth on the blade will determine the quality of the cut surface.
The Standard Miter is designed to cut a miter left or right normally ut to 45 degrees but some machines do go further. It is sometimes called a chop saw so the limitations on the equipment is limited to the size of the saw blade.
A sliding miter increases the width of the material to be cut, so with a large saw blade the limitations of the width of the component has been vastly increased.
Compound Miter has the capacity of cutting not only miters but has the ability to cut bevels or a combination of the two operations.
This of course make the cost of the available more expensive.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
The following reviews 5 best sliding miter saw:
Hitachi has a good name in the industry so it is not impossible to consider this miter saw having some good features:
- A robust 15 amp motor for the cutting power at its toughest.
- Miter range of up to 52 degrees to the left and right.
- Bevel range up to 45 degrees to the left.
A large fence possible to raise up to 4”
- Has a large support table.
- Operating handle has a soft grip to reduce vibration.
- To prolong tool life easy access to the carbon brushes for replacement.
- To reduce dust there is a dust collector attachment.
- To make portability the saw only weighs 26.3lbs.
The reviews are numerous and the positive reviews are very good but there are some disconcerting negative one relating to the tool received was cracked and parts were unusable. Most should have been returned for a replacement.
The reviewers comments should be closely inspected the machine before deciding to placing an order.
The Skil Miter Saw has for the price some very good features:
- Laser guide for accurate cuts.
- Positive stops 9 in all for the usual miter angles.
- 4.500 revs/min powerful motor.
- Extensions to the table both left and right to accommodate large work pieces.
The user reviews are glowing and helpful any one so far was critical as unable to unlock the factory lock and with a call to Skil it could have been sorted out.
The emphasis of the advertising promotion of this miter saw is for cutting metal and the cutting blade supplied is correct for the job.
So it is not surprising the most of the purchasers bought the tool as being the best miter saw for their requirements.
Following is advertised benefits:
- A versatile tool capable of cutting aluminium, mild steel and wood.
- The blade supplied is a 28 tooth tungsten carbide tipped of high grade material.
- Will cut through mild steel up to 6mm thick and will not generate any heat and will be almost burr free.
- The miter system operates 45 degrees right and left with 9 fixed stops for the most common miter angles.
- A soft start 15 amp 2000 watt motor delivering a no load 2500 revs/minute.
- A laser guide.
- A blade arbor of 1”.
The customer reviews are a mix of comments and it is not necessarily the main product advertised as there are several other models listed in the advert.
The 5 star reviews were in general content with their purchase but even so some did comment that certain items didn’t work 100% but as they didn’t require it they could have purchased another mode that didn’t have that item.
There were quite a number of adverse reviews, one in particular had in the past bought 4 Rage miter saws but the latest one was made in China and nowhere as good as the models previous produced.
So before purchasing the best advice is to read the reviews as an aid to making a decision.
Machete LS1016L 10-Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw with Laser
The Makita is a name to be reckoned with as a product of excellence.
Here are some of the features promoted by Makita:
- A motor powerful enough to deliver 3,200 revs/minute.
- A steel rail sliding system to deliver a rigid cutting operation.
- Left miterer to 52 degrees, Right miter up to 60 degrees with set stops left and right at most common angles used in miter setting.
- For crown moulding one of the largest capacity available.
For ‘dead on’ cuts a linear ball bearing system is used.
- A smooth soft start up.
- Has a built in laser indicating the line to cut.
- The operating handle has been rubberised to increase comfort and an aid to eliminate vibration.
- The cutting blade is a 60 tooth carbide tipped.
- The blade guard is a see through for greater visibility of the line of cut.
- The large base is made of aluminium to support material for efficient cutting.
- Various accessories, dust bag, vice, socket and hex wrench.
There was of course as there is with any product cons:
- One that was general even with buyer content with the saw was the quality of the instruction leaflet that it was almost unreadable and the set up drawing was far too small.
- Some experienced blade wobble.
- The fixed miter settings were difficult to engage and dis-engage.
As a DeWalt it is expected to be a quality product and this one certainly in that category.
The number of glowing 4/5 star compound miter saw reviews dwaf the number of low mitre saw reviews.
The features of the miter saw parts are as follows:
- A motor delivering 3,800 revs/minute with durability and power.
- The stainless steel adjustable miter has 10 positive stops.
- The back fence is designed to allow lumber to be cut up to 2 x 16 at 90 degrees and 2 x 12 at 45 degrees.
- Has a dust collection system designed to collect 75 % of the dust.
- Guarantee 90 day money back.
However the miter saw does not come with a stand.
Conclusion:Best compound sliding miter saw
Of the 5 best compound miter saw the one that stands out is the DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw.
It has all the features one would require, but of course it comes at a cost.
If it is purely for cutting metal the Evolution Power Tools RAGE3 10-Inch Multipurpose Cutting Compound Sliding Miter Saw could be the choice but with reservations as to its operating performance.