Buying a Nail Gun
There are three basic types of nailer, framing nailer, siding nailer and a roofing nailer,which nail gun to buy?
Each is designed for a specific purpose outlined as follows:
The best framing nail gun is a heavier piece of equipment and is made to connect together larger pieces of timber in house construction.
Other frames where the joining of wood that require timber using 2 by 4’s.
The siding nailer is for fixing a thin piece of wood to another flush, to decorate finish a building.
The nails used are of a different design to that of a framing nail.
A roofing nailer is for fixing roof cladding to make the roof whether proof.
The nails have larger heads and are not over long to fix the material which is normally a soft composition.
The nailers work on a similar operation using compressed air as the operating medium.
This allows the nailer to be used in all weathers with no fear of being electrically damaged.
The depth to which the nail is driven into the timber can be easily governed.
The nails are in a belt which is loaded into the nailer and this allows continuous use either single or multiple shot before reloading.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
Following are the top five nailers:
The depth of the nails can be set conveniently, easily and fast with the adjustable depth guide.
.Plastic inserted coil and wire weld nails can be driven in.
.Added durability from the lightweight aluminium design.
Soft woods are protected with a soft rubber foot.
.To direct the exhaust away from the operator it has a tool-free adjustable exhaust.
The nailer weighs 8.4lbs.
.Bostitch provides a one year limited warranty.
Is suitable to nail:
- Wood Siding.
- Fiber Cement Siding.
- Wood sheathing to light gauge steel.
The nailer can operate with 1.25” – 2.5” nails due to the powerful driving power of the Bostitch nailer.
The nailer can accommodate 350 wire weld or plastic coil nails in its magazine giving a long operating time before reloading.
The two firing modes, sequential and contact actuation are incorporated in the Bostitch coil siding nailer.
- Has the possibility of fitting either a contact or a sequential trigger.
- The optimal fastener depth is set by tool-less adjustment drive.
- To direct the exhaust air away from the operator with a 360 degree adjustable deflector.
- For a quick and easy re-load of nails a side load facility is provided.
- To free a nail jam an open nose design is a feature.
- For safety a clear plastic shield deflects wire collation from the operator.
- To reduce operator fatigue the 6.3lb. lightweight well balanced is manufactured.
- For flexibility can drive wire or plastic sheet collated nails.
- Will drive nails as long as 3” x 0.131” diameter at 3 per second.
- A good job site tool capable of coli siding or framing nailing with convenience, power and precision.
The type of operation, contact or sequential is determined by a selective actuation switch.
.For easy loading of nails it has a side load, tilt bottom magazine, 200-300 magazine capacity.
.Wire and plastic sheet collated nails can be used for added flexibility.
.The depth adjustment is tool-less to set the optimal depth for the variations of applications.
.For safety wire collation is deflected by a plastic shield.
The unit weighs 6.4 lbs.
.It has a 5 year warranty.
.A pair of hex bar wrenches and safety glasses are supplied.
- It is lightweight.
- Two different firing options controlled by the nail gun trigger.
- Continuous firing option a nail is sunk into the the work surface each time the nose touches it.
- Ease of manoeuvring because light weight and a very good balance of the unit.
- All day use possible as it is not nose heavy and comfortable.
- The single shot upgrade is not included within the price of the nailer.
- A few users have found the plastic shield keeps falling off, a shield replacement cures that..
- A new slim guide contact arm to reduce nail bending and marks from the driver.
- A mechanism for reduce double nail firing, end cap that is maintenance free.
- The air exhaust has an easy to adjust.
- The depth depth control is dial adjustable, coupled with anti double fire mechanism.
- It has a nail magazine that loads easily.
Lock lever trigger mechanism.
- It weighs 6.8 pounds.
- There is a 5 year warranty against manufacturing defects and a contractor promise of 30 days.
.The design of the new slim guide contact arm can be found different to use for users of the more usual common designs.
.There were very few critics, one did state the he was expecting it to be made in Japan but discovered it was made in Thailand.
Operation control by the operator is by a three mode selector switch, contact, sequential and lock.
.To minimise debris and dust entering the nailer it has a built-in air filter.
.The easy loading nail canister has size adjustment to give maximum versaty.
.The exhaust air is directed away from the user by a multi directional port.
.Has a nine depth adjustment that is tool-less operation.
.It will take 1.25” – 2.5” nail sizes.
.To protect the work area rubber numbers are incorporated.
.To prevent the work surface from scratching it has a smooth nose tip.
.For handling comfort it has a rubber grip.
.To reduce noise a silent sheet is provided when the coupler is disconnected.
.The following are supplied:
- Supply of oil.
- 4 hex wrenches.
- Safety goggles.
- Plastic tool case.
- A one year warranty.
- The nailer unit weighs 5 lbs.
Which nailer gun to buy – recommendation
.Unless you have a special requirement then buying a nail gun does make the choice easier.
.With the choice in the market can be confusing, shingle nail gun, fencing nail gun, decorative nail gun or nail gun for framing.
.This review is to aid your decision in highlighting the benefits of the nailers reviewed.
.Our recommendation is the Makita AN611 1-1/4-Inch to 2-1/2-Inch Coil Siding Nailer.
.If a dual purpose unit is desired then the Hitachi NV75AN 1-3/4 Inch to 3-Inch Coil Siding / Framing Nailer is the best all around nail gun.