The Scroll Saw
What is the best Scroll saw, purchasing a Scroll Saw there are many considerations to taken into account besides the cost.
If you are about to start out on a new bobby there are some very good you tube videos that help you decide the best scroll saw for you.
However if it is to replace your saw is required then it is just considering the different facilities that a replacement will have.
- Work Light.
- Dust blower.
- Dust collector.
- Variable cutting speed.
- Type of blade fixing, pin-end or flat e-end.
The above are the most common features but if monetary are a restricting item then some can be added at a later date.
However adding a variable cutting speed is not an added option so if required opt for it in preference.
The choice of blade fixing has to be considered as to the proposed type of scroll sawing is to be undertaken..
If very fine sawing with tight turns then this could rule out pin-end fixing as there would not be enough metal in the blade to drill a hole for a pin.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
Following are 5 Scroll Saws giving the features of each highlighting there benefits:
A Porter Cable product with the following:
- A large aluminium dual tilting table of 45 degrees.
- Bevel scale on the table top.
- Blade changes are tool-less and can be either pin or plain end blades.
- A LED lamp built in lamp.
- Cutting speed is variable from 500 to 1500 Strokes/minute.
One buyer found the aluminium table top very rough and used 400 grit sand paper and them coated it with Carnauba wax.
The bellows stopped working and on inspection found the bellows were cheap rubber product with a crack in it.
This Scroll saw is sold under the Porter Cable cable but when a customer took the saw back to a Power Cable depot of repair was informed that it was another company brand with licence to put the Porter Cable name on it.
Even so there are many buyers who are satisfied with the product at the price.
The other benefit is that the 5” blade can be either pin or plain.
The features advertised by WEN:
- A variable speed control from 400/1600 SPM.
- Large table that bevels 45 degrees left and right.
- To reduces vibration it has a case iron body.
- Air pump.
- Flexible operating light.
- Dust collection port.
- 2 cutting blades.
- 16” cutting depth.
Very good comments from verified purchasers.
- Setup is easy.
- Speed is variable.
- Can operate with pin or pines cutting blades.
- Time taken to change flat ended cutting blades.
- Main criticism was concerning the clamping of the plain saw blade ends.
- One rectified the problem of stripped threads was to buy a number of replacement allen headed screws and nuts as replacements.
The company advertising gives a good impression so the main features are:
The electronic variable cutting speed has a range from 400 to 1,750 strokes/minute.
Special designed dual link arm to reduce vibration and improve cutting quality.
The upper arm locks in the raised position to aid easier blade changes.
For quick blade changes it is tool-free.
- The 4&5 stare reviewers found the Delta a very good product.
- A few had initial problems but once corrected the machine worked very well.
- Quite a number found the product noisy or failed to work.
- Many also found the tool had not been assembled correctly.
- Others found parts if the saw were broken.
- The stand was not part of the original purchase.
- The light to enlighten the cutting position was an optional extra.
Jet 727200K Scroll Saw With Stand
There Is very little information given by the manufacturer.
The purchasers of the saw were all more than satisfied with it.
- One had to return the saw but the replacement was a good replacement.
- The saw was delivered in a box surrounded by polystyrene foam.
- The saws are manufactured in Twain.
- One user stated that the saw was ready to use with the saw blade already installed.
- The stand took about 30 minutes to assemble.
It appears that this product, if continues to provide a consistent service it will become very desirable.
DeWalt is a very recognisable brand and the features listed are impressive:
- A parallel link designed arm to reduce the vibration to make the cutting action more accurate.
- A tool free clamping the cutting blades facilitates blade changing very quick and easy.
- The front upper arm has the variable speed control, on/off switch and the lever tensioning the blade located on it.
- To facilitate the blade to be threaded through the material for cuts inside the arm lifts.
But since DeWalt have moved there manufacturing from Canada to Asia there has been quite a few returns due to quality control not at its best.
- Fixing holes on the table were drilled incorrectly.
- Variable speed control not functioning.
- Parts missing – I.e. Instruction manual.
- Poor after sales service.
Stand and work light are optional extras.
Recommendations – What is the best Scroll saw for the money
What is the best scroll saw, this will depend on the budget that has been allocated for the purchase of the Scroll saw.
For a substantial budget then the choice could be either the DEWALT DW788 1.3 Amp 20-Inch Variable-Speed Scroll Saw or the Jet 727200K Scroll Saw With Stand.
The reason for the choice is that the Dewalt now being made in Asia and having some quality control problems.
If you are a beginner and have a limited budget and unsure that a new hobby may not be right then either the 18″ Variable Speed Scroll Saw with Stand or the WEN 3920 16-inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw.
The fact that the Power Cable scroll saw is not there own design could be a mitigating reason to select the WEN.
Whatever is the Scroll saw selected it will be the best scroll saw for the money.