The Jig Saw
The best jig saw is a very versatile tool able to cut not only in a straight line but at an angle and in a curvature.
All are limited in the depth they can cut and this is determined by the length of the cutting blade.
Many of the models have a laser light to aide the user to view the prescribe cutting line marked out on the material being cut.
Also some have a blower system to clear the cuttings from the position of the cutting blade.
The best jig saws should be easy to operate and control, designed to be comfortable to handle and a weight that is suitable not to tire the operator.
Noise and vibration can be undesirable if the jig saw is going to be used for long periods of cutting.
This jigsaw reviews 5 models to give an indication of what the different models have available to offer.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
Black & Decker BDEJS00C 5.0-Amp Jig Saw
- The motor has a variable speed of up to 3,000 strokes per minute.
- It can cut up to 450 , stabilised with an adjustable shoe.
- The Wire Guard has been improved.Changing the cutting blade does not require any tools to do so.
The reviews are numerous and various, but the majority are favourable.
- Has plenty of power
- Keyless blade lock
- The cost of the jig saw.
- There isn’t mark indicating the cutting centre.
- A pin in the quick clamp broke and no replacement was found.
- Some machines developed faults on start up, this was put down to faulty assembly.
Black and Decker are a recognisable product in the hand tool production field.
As with all mass produced products the percentage of faulty products is low.
The Porter Cable product has a good name in the industry and this model certainly lives up to it.
It has glowing jig saw reviews from its purchasers.
Those who are replacing a jigsaw of first timers who were pleased the way the machine handled and cut straight.
- The speed control has 7 positions and integrated in the trigger mechanism.
- The motor has ample power.
- The trigger mechanism can be locked on for continuos use.
- No tools are required to change the cutting blade.
- For different materials there are 4 orbital settings.
- No case supplied.
- No cutting blade supplied.
- Blade not square with the base.
The last 2 remarks could be rectified by returning the product.
Another pedigree producer with a mixed bag of reviews from very good to downwards.
The majority of the users were very pleased with the jig saw ratings.
- Ease of use.
- No tools required to change the cutting blade.Powerful motor delivering up to 3,100 strokes/minute.
- Has a 4 positional orbit action to allow faster aggressive cuts.
- To allow for durability on a professional environment it has an metal gear case.
- The shoe can bevel up to 45 degrees for bevel cuts.
- Provided with only a cheap cutting blade.
- No blower to clear the cuttings.
- Power plug flimsy.
- Not cutting straight.
- And for some made in China.
In general this machine has more positive features, the few adverse comments were certainly in the minority and can in most cases can be rectified.
This is a lightweight jig saw but from jigsaw reviews is a good machine for the price.
Has an impressive list of attributes and the following are the main ones:
- A rubberised grip to give good comfort and control.
- A variable speed control to enable a variety of materials to be cut.
- To reduce vibration a counterweight balancing system is installed.
- The trigger switch has a lock on button for continuous operation.
- Tang shank blades are supplied.
- For storage a tool case is supplied.
- For blade changes a Hex wrench is supplied.
- The aluminium base is die cast and adjustment up to 45 degrees right or left.
- When the blade is tightened the mechanism pushes the blade just off 90 degrees.
- The bevel lock mechanism is not accurate.
- Does not have a tool less blade system which is becoming the norm in even the cheaper models.
This is not the standard form of a jig saw but has feature that can be useful for some cutting operations that could be difficult with a normally configured jigsaw.
It must be taken into account that this does not replace a table circular saw but can do some of the operations of table saw but with limitations.
The features of the tool are as follows:
- The riving knife system with a traditional guard allows capacity for rip and cross cuts.
- It is lightweight and easily transported.
- Quick and easy to set-up.
- T-shank jigsaw blades are standard.
- The Miter gauge adjusts from 0-60 degrees left or right.
- Machine vibrated and was noisy.
- Some plastic moulded part broke.
- The support arm is out of line with the cutting blade.
- When a customer called Rockwell about a missing part they were not helpful and were very rude. (Not good support)
- The vibration loosened the fence in consequence the cut was in error.
Best jig saw conclusion
Of the jig saws in the review it is our recommendation that the PORTER-CABLE PCE345 6-Amp Orbital Jig Saw has more benefits and less adverse comments from purchasers of the various models.
If however the criteria for the purchase is cost then the Black & Decker BDEJS600C 5.0-Amp Jig Saw should be possibly the best value.
The Rockwell RK7323 Blade Runner X2 Portable Tabletop Saw has been reviewed, not being standard configuration of a jig saw, for anyone wanting to cut intricate shapes and being able to view exactly the cutting point of the blade.
But bare in mind that it is considered not to be a replacement of a table saw.