What type of saw to cut wood
There are large variety of hand saws for woodworking, but what is the best saw for cutting wood?
To answer that it is necessary to understand the types of carpentry saws, what they are used for and how they perform the task asked of them.
Different types of saws and their uses.
The Rip Cut Saw
The purpose of a Rip Cut Saw is to cut along the grain of the wood and to maintain a straight cut. To achieve this the teeth of the saw have a tooth shape design for that specific purpose.
The front edges of the teeth are flat and angled about 8 degrees backward and is sharpened at right angles to the plane of cut.
With this configuration the rip saw is able to maintain a straight cut even though the grain of the piece being cut does not run parallel to the line of the cut.
Cross Cut Saw
A Cross cut saw is as the name implies is set up to cut wood effectively at right angles to the grain of the wood.This is obtained by sharping the teeth of the saw in a different configuration.The teeth of the saw are angled back about 15 degrees and are cut at an angle.
This means that the teeth of the saw have to be sharpened in a set procedure so the the saw cuts straight across the grain.
The teeth are sharpened from one side on every other tooth then turning the saw round in the clamping arrangement.The teeth that were not sharpened are now filed in the same manner as previous done on the first side.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
Following is five of the best hand saws for woodworking:
- A saw blade length of 15 inches and a tooth set of 9 points/inch.
- The teeth are induction hardened making them remain sharp longer than non hardened teeth by 3-5 times.
- Will cut 50% faster by use of a three sided tooth design.
- The hardwood handle design will make it possible to use wearing gloves for comfort by having a large hand opening.
- Will cut plastic pipe without problem.
Not possible to return the product as there is a policy of not honouring returns.
The saw has a lifetime limited warranty for the original purchaser against material and workmanship deficiencies.
- The Tri-Ground teeth give a fast and efficient saw-cut.
- The teeth are sharpened to cut in the push and pull direction to provide speed of cut, fine finish cut and easier cut start.
- The hardwood handle is ergonomically designed to provide comfort and durability.
- To give fast chip removal the saw has deep gullets.
- To provide control and rigidity the blade has thick body.
- A 45 and 90 degree markings are built in.
- The handsaw is lighter then many standard handsaws providing low hand fatigue.
- This model of Great Neck has a high carbon steel blade.
- The blade is 20 inches long with precision teeth set that are hardened electronically.
- The nine point aggressive teeth that make it an efficient fast cutting saw.
- A selected hardwood carved handle that is dark stained.
- The design of the handle gives the user a superior cutting angle.
- The handle has a 45/90 degree profile.
- The saw is packed with individual sleeves for protection.
Customer reviews make excellent reading and there are only 4 and 5 star ratings.
This is a saw made in the tradition of fashion of the quality saw of the past.
- It has the standard of finish that is in comparison with the more expensive saws.
- It has a chrome nickel steel blade and a real dark stained hardwood handle.
- It is best crosscut hand saw with 10 teeth per inch is perfect for aggressive cuts.
- The blade has sharpened teeth to give greater ability of cut.
- It has a lifetime warranty.
- The saw is made in the USA.
It has very good reviews and no 1 or 2 Star criticisms.
- The handle is welded to blade so eliminating the the need for screws and ensuring the it will not loosen.
- The teeth are hardened by induction to make them stay sharp so keeping the cutting action a much longer life.
- The teeth are to have three surfaces of cut to give a 50% increase in cutting speed.
- The handle has an ergonomic design to make the saw comfortable to use with a better grip.
- To protect the blade there is a reusable guard.
The reviews are very good and even one critical review was appreciative of the product said: quote “I didn’t expect a great tool for the price.”
It appears that Stanley have produced a product that is very good value.
What is the best saw for cutting wood.
The five different kinds of hand saws reviewed here, all are a good hand saw for cutting wood.
The best hand saw for cutting wood in our consideration is the Stanley 20-526 15-Inch 12-Point/Inch SharpTooth Saw.
It has very good reviews and the price makes it excellent value.