What is a Spindle Sander used for
Considering adding a benchtop Oscilating spindle Sander to your workshop itinerary.
Then you will need to investigate the choice of Benchtop Oscilating Spindle Sander that will compliment your projects.
Maybe the Benchtop Oscilating Spindle is for you.
Though such a tool would not be applicable for the newly starting amateur woodworker.
.The well established hobbyist and professional woodworker can see the benefits of the inclusion of it. They can see the investment will give that increase the throughput and finish of their projects.
.Top Oscilating Sanders can be purchased at a sensible price.
To select the best Oscilating spindle Sander it is necessary to be informed of the operation of the unit.
The Oscilating Sander
The oscillating sander is normally situated on a bench, it can be fixed to avoid any possible vibration. .
The oscillating sander is a round sanding spindle unit rotating at high revolutions and oscillating up and down continuously. The spindle protrudes through the table surface on which the piece rest whilst it is being sanded.
Oscilating Spindle Sander uses
It is used to sand the edges of a shaped work piece that can be time consuming to do by hand. The sanding spindles take special tubed grits so the grit can be changed to achieve the finish required.
Angled Sanding Functions
Some oscillating sanders have the possible to change the angle of the table to enable sanding angled edges.
Spindle sander safety
Extreme precaution must be taken when the sanded piece is small as the sanding spindle will inflict serious injury on the hand if in contact..
A dust collector should be incorporated and a mask to prevent inhalation of the dust. Also advisable to wear eye protection.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
The following five models have been selected:
Jet spindle sander review
- Has a 4 inch dust port connection.
- For quick spindle changes it can be locked.
- The spindles has threaded ends and range from 1/4” to 4” assemblies.
- It has a tilting table 15 degrees back and 45 degrees front.
- Storage for spindles and table insets.
- The storage area has minimised dust free.
- The spindle head has 1.5” action to prolong the jet spindle sander sleeves life.
- Also the supported Spindle is housed in precision ball bearings
- The oscillating mechanism is performed by a heavy duty mechanism of worm and gear which is enclosed in an oil bath.
- Consequently the 1 HP motor is independently housed.
- It has an integrated paddle switch with an included safety switch.
Because the unit is noisy so recommend ear defenders.The storage feature is not large enough for all requirements.The tilting table is of course a very good feature.
- The Wen spindle sander has a 1/2 Horse Powered unit of 3.5 amp giving 2000 revs/min.
- The spindle oscillates at 58 oscilations/min.
- Included are 6 sanding sleeves ranging from 1/2” to 3”.
- There is an onboard storage for the accessories.
- Provision of a dust collection port to attach your dust collector.
- So as a 35 lbs lightweight unit.
- Therefore easy to move positions.
- Hence provide a two year warranty.
Has a hotline customer service plus network of service engineers.Has very good reviews non below 4 star.
- This model is very good for sanding irregular shapes.
- The spindle speed is 2000 rev/min.
- It oscillates at 58 per minute.
- This is from 450 watt no load motor.
- Included with the unit is six rubber drums, matching grit sleeves and table inserts.
- So onboard storage for save keeping.
- The provided inserts to minimise sanding spindle and table gaps.
- Hence the cast iron base therefore stability and support.
- For trouble free performance the power switch has a dust cover.
- To connect an extraction system a dust port is provided.
Has very good reviews none below 4 Stars.
- Powerful 1/2 HP motor delivering 1,725 revs/min.
- Spindle oscillating length 15/16” and oscillates at 29 OPM.
- The spindle length is 5.5”.
- Ball bearing support for the main spindle to give a smooth operation.
- The 5 interchangeable threaded spindles.
- For 100 grit sleeves ranging from.
- 1/2” to 4” are provided.
- The dust connection port adaptor for connecting to dust collector ranges from 2.25” to 4”.
- It has a precision ground cast iron tilting table 14.75” x 14.75”.
- Table height is 18”.
- The table can tilt up to 45 degrees with a large bevel scale for precision settings.
- It has a 5.5” diameter opening for insets.
- Storage on-tool for all the accessories.
- The unit weighs 66 pounds.
Reviews were complementing one purchaser returned the product as the base was plastic and not Cast iron.
The Grizzly Oscillating Spindle Sander has a cast iron table ground smooth to allow easy sanding.
The five rubber sanding drums range from 3/4” up to 3”.With six sanding sleeves ranging from 1/2” up to 3”.
The table inserts six of range from 1/2” to 3”.
The are also three spindle washers 5/8”, 7/8” and 1.75” supplied..
It has a 1/2 HP motor giving 2000 revs/min.
The 1/2” spindle oscillates 58 OPM..
Storage for all the accessories is provided for onboard.
- The Grizzly spindle sander is a compact unit so make it easy to move it around.
- The bust collecting port is 1.5” makes it easy to connect up to a any vac system using a 2.5” hose.
- Above all keep minimum downtime.
- Therefore changing sanding drums.
- So it is quick and easy.
- The set up is easy and the unit runs relatively quieter.
- It considered that the unit would benefit from a larger dust collecting port.
- The price of the Grizzly spindle sander is somewhat dearer than comparable units.
Benchtop Oscilating Spindle Sander – Recommendatios
The five machines that have been reviewed the one that has shown to be a dependable unit is the Grizzly Oscillating Spindle Sander.
Should however the requirement is it has to have a tilting table the there is a choice between two models.
In our consideration the one that has the edge is the Delta Woodworking 31-483 Heavy-Duty Oscillating Bench Spindle Sander, 1/2-HP, 115-volt.
If there is a budget limit there again there are two possibilities and the only difference is a small difference in price.
The two are:
.Triton TSPS450 Oscillating Spindle Sander.
WEN Oscillating Spindle Sander.
Both had very good customer reviews so either could fit your requirements.