What is a twist drill used for?
The twist drill is possibly the most common used drill as in its basic form will drill holes in most materials: steel, wood and plastics.
In a specialised form will drill into concrete and brick.
The twist drill has a vast range of sizes. Consequently over 1/2” unusable beyond the scope of the average hand/electric had drill.
The standard construct of the two flute twist drill bit in various materials. Furthermore has beneficial advantage, dependant on the material drilled.
Even more various combinations of material that twist drill bits are constructed. Consequently the three considered the best are:
Combat, Titanium and High Speed Steel (HSS).
When drilling the spiral aids the clearance of the swarf. While if drilling a deep hole. Certainly it is beneficial to withdraw the drill to allow clearing swarf.
Twist drills made in two main sizes: decimal and fractional.
Probably sold in sets, depending on requirements. While the fraction set starts as small as 1/64” and go up in increments of 1/64” up to 1/2”.
Decimal range from 1mm to 10mm going up in 1/2 mm increments.
The normal length of a drill classified as a jobber. Maybe, should a longer drill required it is possible to purchase. As a result normally sold singularly.
Sharpening a twist drill requires some skill if attempting this by hand, there are several jigs indicated tools for grinding the correct profile.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
Following our consideration of the 5 best sets of twist drills:
- So drill bits supplied with a useful storage bar.
- Above all keeps them all in one place.
- Also marked with the size of each bit.
- Sizes range from 1/16” up to 1/4” which are the popular sizes for the DIY operator.
- They are able to drill plastic, unhardened metal and wood.
Due to reviews generally good and appreciative of the low price of the 10 piece set of drills.
There are however some critical reviews stating that drills broke relatively easy this could be due to being an imported product and quality control was not 100%
- The Hexagon end shank useble in high torque drills. Hence gives a non slip grip in standard chuck drills.
- For effective swarf removal the twist drill bits have long flutes.
- The Titanium coated drill bits to minimise friction.
- So the twist drill bits sizes from 1/16” – !/4” in steps of !/32” and then there is a 5/16” and a 3/8”.
- The tip design is to non skate and accurate start.
- Manufactured to cope with high-carbon and heavy gauged steel.
The reviews are good finding the use of an impact drive useful for an easy change of the drill bits.
Some considered the small diameter twist drill bits too short in length.
- The drill set is house in a convenient plastic case.
- The twist drill range is a comprehensive range from 1/16” up to 3/8” that covers all the needs of the DIYer.
- Is capable of drilling all metals and this includes hard metals.
- To stop drill bits walking on first contact they have a spilt point.
- Drill presses are a very good exponent using these drill bits.
- These twist drill bits are impressed with ‘HSS Co’ this means High Speed Cobalt, giving an indication that the composition of them is of a high grade steel.
The reviews of these drill bits endorse this by having very high reviews and a very low critical review.
- The 15 piece twist drill bits are in a rubber over moulded case.
- Also size index for identifying and simple access.
- This gives good protection for onsite working.
- The Drill Titanium Nitride coated bits to reduce friction and heat.
- Therefore giving the cutting edge life up to 6 times that of other HSS drill bits.
- So to increase durability the drill bits made of premium high speed steel.
- The drill bits have a 135degree split-point designed to minimise ‘walking’ and to start drilling on immediate contact.
The reviews are excellent and there are no critical reviews at all.
Drill America DWD29J-CO-PC Qualtech 29 Piece Cobalt Steel Jobber Length Drill Bit Set in Plastic Case, Gold Oxide Finish, Round Shank, Spiral Flute, 135 Degrees Split Point, 1/16″ to 1/2″ Size
- This twist drill bit set is in a plastic waterproof case.
- The 29 piece set sizes from 1/16” to 1/2” in 1/64” increment steps.
- This makes the set a very comprehensive and suitable to cover any eventuality that a workshop requires.
- The drill bits manufactured from Cobalt steel.
- With a gold oxide finish acting as a lubricant to give wear resistance.
- The Cobalt Steel is to provide extended life and maintain the drill bits toughness.
- The 135 degree split point is self centring to produce smaller swarf chipping so to minimise clogging.
The reviews are very good and there are very little criticisms and of those I consider they were asking too much from the drill bits.
Because an American product so deserves the American National Standards Institute conformation.
Recommendation – What is a twist drill used for
There are many twist drill uses and in keeping there are many manufacturers of twist drill bits.
In the review we have compiled a cross section of choice.
The one that was considered the best is the Drill America DWD29J-CO-PC Qualtech 29 Piece Cobalt Steel Jobber Length Drill Bit Set in Plastic Case, Gold Oxide Finish, Round Shank, Spiral Flute, 135 Degrees Split Point, 1/16″ to 1/2″ Size.
It was however the most expensive so for those with not so deep pockets we also recommend the Irwin Tools 4935607 Titanium Coated High-Speed Steel Drill Bit Set, Pro Case, 15-Piece.
Both are of equal merit but the Drill American does offer that little bit more.