The Best Random Orbital Sander
When searching for the best orbital sander for the money, many just purchase the best selling sander of a brand.
This is possibly not the best model to fit the users requirements. It is therefore necessary to considers what the sander is going to do and look for a model that will encompass those requirements.
To consider which Best Orbital Sander for the money.
Sander Possible Benefits
There are many factors that have to be considered to meet the needs of the user. The following are are the various issues that are going to be researched to aid any prospective purchaser to determine which sander will be appropriate.
Ease of affixing the sandpaper to the sander.
There is the bar clamping arrangement that is very effective but can take time to change the sandpaper to another grit.
The later method is using hook and loop system which makes changing the grit paper quick and easy. When a lot of sanding is required for a particular finish that entails changing from a course grit gradually to a fine grit this system offers a great potential in saving time.
Variable Speed Control of the motor.
A sander needs a motor unit that is capable of delivering the correct speed and power to sand all possible situations from rough to a fine finish. To enable the sander to do this, a variable sanding vibration would enhance the benefit of the sander.
When putting pressure on the sander to effectively remove an uneven rough surface the speed needs to be high. Then when using a fine grit sand paper and a light touch the sanding speed requirement requires a much lower motor speed.
Vacuuming dust from the workpiece.
With all operations in woodworking there is always a requirement to remove dust and debris from the operating equipment. Dust produced from a sanding operation is a possible danger to health and eyes as it is easily become airborne.
The best protection is to prevent it to by use of a vacuum technique at source, if the random orbital sander with dust extraction provision or a connection to a vacuum unit that will be a benefit.
It is advisable to check that there is not a build up of dust in the working parts of the sanding unit as it can cause damage to the electrical unit if left unchecked.
Design of the handle grip.
When using a hand product it is necessary that it is comfortable to hold and easy to manipulate. The operating controls must also be accessible on the handle and have a covering to absorb vibrations and shocks. This is beneficial should the user wants a tight hold of the sander to do some delicate sanding finish on the workpiece.
The amount of material that can be removed using a coarse grain sand paper is not the real purpose of a sanding unit. The real aim is to acquire a fine smooth finish and to obtain it a slow speed on the sander is desirable. Should the area to be sanded is large then the weight of the sander could be a factor in getting the desired finish.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
Following is a review of 5 top rated orbital sanders:
- The Black and Decker 5 in random orbit sander uses the hook and loop system for attaching the sanding disks.
- This permits fast and easy change of them.
- The ON/OFF power switch has a dust seal to protect the electric system.
- To have high removal rate and quality finish a random orbital action is employed.
- A dust collection cloth canister is fitted to reduce the amount of dust dispersed into the work area.
- If sanding surface coated with polyurethane, listed oil and the like caution to be observed as there is a possibility of the dust collected could self ignite.
- The unit weighs 3.2 pounds.
- A 2-year limited warranty is provided against defects in material/workmanship.
- The DeWalt sander is easy to install and use.
- The 2.4 amp motor gives an operation of 14,000 ops to provide a high finish.
- To provide comfort and control the unit has anti-slip body grip.
- The on/off switch is sealed from dust integration to ensure a long operating life.
- The unit has sealed ball bearings in construction providing long life.
- Dust collection uses a large capacity dust bag.
- The DeWalt also provides an orbital sander vacuum attachment.
- Standard sandpaper sheets are used giving a choice of provider.
- A kit bag is provided to make transportation with all extra components readily available.
- A 3 year limited warranty, a money back guarantee of 90 days and a 1 year free service contract.
- The DeWalt is made in Mexico.
The features of the Porter Cable 5 inch random orbital sander is a good purchase for the Professional and DIY user.
- For smooth finishes a high sanding speed.
- Control of the pad speed and limits start up gouging.
- The counter-balanced fan so reduces operator fatigue.
- The dust sealed switch mechanism is to prevent dust ingestion.
- Has ball bearing sealed components construction.
- The 1.9 amp motor gives an output of up to 12,000 opm.
- Accepts 5” 8 hole sandpaper using the hook and loop system, to make
- changing sandpaper easy and fast.
- A lightweight unit at only 3 pounds.
Some critical reviewers considered the motor was underpowered.
- The power unit is a 2.5 amp motor delivering 7,500-12,000 opm with a variable speed control.
- Dial variable speed control allows you to select to select the correct speed for the job.
- The sandpaper held in place, due to the hook and loop system.
- The dust collection incorporates a micro filter trapping particles down to 1/2 microns.
- The durable dust canister uses a twist off system and incorporates a dust level indicator.
- To minimise swirl marks it has a built in braking system for pad dampening.
- To limit fatigue it has a soft grip top and weighs 3.5 pounds
The following also included:
Soft sanding pad.
Micro filter dust canister.
Vacuum Hose Adapter,
Some purchasers receive reconditioned units, returned for replacement.
- The Makita 3.0 amp power unit motor mounted with oversize sealed ball bearings.
- The motor has a variable control dial to set the OPM to operate between 4,000-12,000. This allows the operator to set the sanding speed suitable for the application.
- Rubberised handle and palm grip, improves comfort and control.
- The front handle is adjustable to permit sanding in confined areas.
- The trigger switch can accommodate two fingers with a lock-on feature for continuous operation.
- To obtain a swirl-free finish with smooth sanding the sander has 1/8” random orbit action.
- So the 8 hole sandpaper configuration allows vacuuming through the unit.
- The best orbital sander with vacuum attachment to improve dust collection.
- The sandpaper uses the hook and loop affixation system allowing grit changes to the easy and fast.
- Included in the purchase is a tool case, dust bag and abrasive disk.
This product has a very high customer star rating.
The best orbital sander for the money
These are the best random orbital sanders under $100. So they all qualify to be the best orbital sander for the money.
Which orbital sander tp recommend as the best random orbital sander: Makita BO5041K 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander Kit.
The best budget orbital sander: Black & Decker BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander, 5-Inch