When purchasing the Best Feather boards for Table Saw as other addition to the workshop such as a table saw. It will not be provided as standard so some pieces of equipment that is considered desirable.
What is featherboard?
The modern feather boards are made of molded plastic, the resultant product is a series of flexible fingers extending from a solid piece that is then attached to the table saw.
What are feather boards used for?
The purpose of the feather board is to keep pressure on the piece being cut firmly against the fence. So this ensures that the cut maintains the desired fence setting.
The use of the feather board does makes the piece being cut to only move in one direction so acts as a safety feature and coupled with other attachments will reduce the possibilities of a kick back.
Attaching the feather board to the table saw
There are two main ways to attach a feather board to a table saw.
1. Using the slot that the mitre gauge runs in the feather board uses it and with the designed clamping system secured it in the slot.
2. There is a magnetic securing system, providing that the table saw has a surface that has a metal surface to magnetically clamp the magnetic feather board too.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
Following is the five best featherboard for table saw:
Featherboard, Drillpro Double Featherboards Feather Loc Board for Table Saws Router & Tables Fences Tools Miter Gauge Slot Woodworking DIY
- This product is produced from high-tech polymer to provide a product that will keep its shape.
- Also maintains pressure required keeping the cut piece firmly against the fence.
- So the pressure exerted by the feather board allows a smooth action of the wood being cut.
- Consequently has the reverse effect should there be a kickback effect.
- It has four mitre bars designed to fit the standard mitre slots-19.3-19.5 mm.
- So to provide cutting consistently.
- As a result the tension is easily and quickly set.
- Therefore reducing the possibility of a kick back.
- Certainly the product useable on variety or workshop equipment not only a table saw.
- Also any woodworking machine that has mitre slot.
- This product gives a tension that is consistent.
- Due to the construction has a special split rail design to give holding pressure.
- The fixing method to the saw table.
- So it is provided by two metal bars 3/4” and 5/8’.
- Therefore fit the standard mitre slots.
- Maximum hold the mitre bar fabricated with a split rail design.
- The Milescraft feather board supplied with t-slot bolts.
- Also as the mitre bars.
- So allowing the product use on a variety of woodworking machines.
- Furthermore the product provides a pre-loaded tension design
- Certainly to give consistent cuts and making a reduction of kick-backs.
- The fixing knobs are of a design to lessen the possibility of over tightening.
Customer reviews were a mixture of good and bad.
The main criticism was the means of locking into mitre tracks was suspect on some table saws.
Magswitch STARTER KIT Includes Base, 2 Mag Jig 150, Reversible Feather Board
- A good starter kit for a magnetic featherboard system.
- So it is possible to add attachments to the kit as the need arises.
- Also the reversible magnetic featherboard allows right or left hand feeds of wood.
- Due to fast set up, on and off magnet adhesion.
- As a result makes set up precise tension easy.
- Hense useable on any power tool that has a need for a magnetic featherboard.
- Providing the table is steel or cast iron.
- Most noteworthy a vertical magnetic featherboard attachment can be fitted to the base item.
- Also giving an added safety dimension.
- So not limited by having to use a mitre slot for locating the magnetic featherboard.
Reviews were mainly positive. Some of the criticism were of those didn’t have a table that was non magnetic.
Kreg PRS3020 True-FLEX Featherboard, Pack of 2Best
Feather boards for Table Saw
- The Reg feather board has a wedge-lock securing system that works in all t-slots and mitre slots on table saw and other woodworking machines without the use of additional hardware.
- This makes the Kreg product easy to use and instal.
- Made from plastic composite.
- As a result very durable with the fingers of the product providing consistent pressure.
- With the two Kreg feather board units it is possible to use one to put pressure on the piece to keep it in contact with the fence and the other on the fence to maintain pressure on the wood to the saw table surface.
- The Kreg product only weighs 1.2lbs.
Magswitch Table Feather Board Universal Model Universal Feather Board Magswitch
- This model Magwitch is a
- best magnetic featherboard for table saw and has two on/off magnets switches with a holding force of 95lbs on each.
- It makes the unit very versatile being able to attach it to any convenient place on the saw table or fence.
- The unit has fingers on both side of it allowing use either side of the saw blade.
- Hence magnetically fixed to the table saw.
- As a result provides for a fast set up.
- Therefore exact positioning and tensioning.
- Above all possible years of use.
- Because construction from ABS UL94VO being strong and very durable.
- As a result useable on any metallic table saw or router.
- While having no requirement for mitre slot use.
The reviews were very good with some not realising the the table saw has to have a serous metal top, the magnets do not adhere to aluminium or composite tables.
What are the best feather boards for table saw
When considering the best feather boards for table saw the choice is between a mitre slot and the magnetic version.
The Magswitch Table Feather Board Universal Model Universal Feather Board Magswitch has many of the attributes that are required by the table saw operator being easy to attach and set up.
However if the table saw is unable through design to use the magnetic feature then the Kreg PRS3020 True-FLEX Featherboard, Pack of 2 is the best one.