When Sharpening Chainsaw Blade and will breathe life back into your favourite power tool.
Unfortunately, with the more uses of a chainsaw, the more likely the teeth are going to get worn out and dull. If this happens, there’s no need to despair because you can purchase several top-quality chainsaw sharpeners that work excellently.
Using a chainsaw around the house or in the garden is a great way to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Let’s take a look at some of the better models that you can find on the market today. Many power tool owners ask, “How many times can you sharpen a chainsaw chain?”
This will vary based on the product, so before you start the sharpening a chainsaw blade, consult your owner’s manual. Each of these selections in this guide is unique and each has its specific pros and cons that we’ll cover.
If viewing from Canada, France or United Kingdom articles selected to view may be substituted for an equivalent model if the selected model is not available in your country.
Our first electric is considered by many to be the best chainsaw sharpener for compactness and budget. This is a relatively small unit that only takes two bolts when mounting it to a surface.
When sharpening a chainsaw blade, you simply add the chain to the holder, making sure to hit each blade alternately and then changing the angle and depth of the blade to hit the reverse facing blades.
It’s very easy to buff a blade sharp with the spinning sharpener, and the device has a lever holder that ensures that your chain will not slip.
• This device is relatively feature-packed for the price point. It’s very easy to attach to any surface, sharpens easily, and holds your chain tightly.
• There is a dial that will let you adjust the angle, so when you need to hit the reverse blades, you won’t have to flip it over.
• Having it mount with only two bolts makes this a cinch to deploy when you need it and put it away when you don’t.
• This machine doesn’t have an automatic “pull-through” function, so when you are sharpening a chainsaw blade, you’ll have to manually skip the opposing next blade, and drag it through to sharpen the next.
• This tool is made of a hard plastic. This is most likely a money saving strategy for the manufacturer, but it does make the device feel a little less sturdy.
• The chain clamp can be a bit loose feeling.
Oregon 410-120 Bench or Wall Mounted Saw Chain Grinder
The Oregon 410-120 electric chain grinder has a lot of great features for sharpening your chain. The first of these is the fact that you can mount this device on a table or on a wall.
This versatility gives you extra location choices when deciding on how to sharpen chainsaw chain with electric sharpener.
The cam tightening system is also great, and it will keep your chain secure at three unique points. This is perfect because you’ll not run the risk of chain slippage.
Another great feature is the wheel wear indicator, which lets you know when it’s time to change the grinder.
• This device is sturdily made. The components are steel and things like the locking cam are strong yet easily adjusted.
• Placing this on either a wall or bench is a great feature. Have limited bench space? Simply deploy this sharpener on a wall and do your chain grinding there.
• This sharpener is very reliable and will cut your chains into a sharp edge quickly and easily. It’s actually appropriate for use in a shop.
• You have to manually feed the chain by loosening the cam and dragging it to the next, properly aligned blade. This can get tedious.
• This product, known to ship with missing components. Fortunately, the manufacturer is very responsible and will make it right.
Many tradespeople wonder, “How to sharpen a chainsaw chain when not near a shop or a tool shed?” This is where more portable devices like this Timber Tuff model come in.
This hand held chain sharpener no attachment to a bench or wall. This is simply how to sharpen a chainsaw with a grinder when you’re out and about.
You’ll need to connect this device to a 12v car battery for operation, but with such a powerful source, you won’t have to worry about powering it for a long while.
• This is the best portable option on the market for sharpening chainsaw blades. While not the overall best chainsaw sharpener on the market, you can take this anywhere and sharpen your blades with ease.
• The stone that rests in the middle of this unit lasts through quite a few sharpening. Due to the sharpening method though; it’s very different from traditional chain sharpening.
• Lugging around a 12 volt car batter can become tedious. Remember to have one on hand if you’re planning on using this device.
• The chain clamp system is a little weak.
This XtremepowerUS chain is how to sharpen chainsaw chain with electric sharpener without spending a lot of money.
This device is actually somewhat cheaper than our first unit and still manages to sport some of the refined functionality of the Oregon model.
The clamp secures chains sturdily and the grinder itself will last hundreds of grind sessions.
- • Grinder setup Easy.
- • Bolts securely to a bench.
- Easy to remove when not in use.
- • Inexpensive device to sharpen chainsaw.
• Not made of the sturdiest of materials; it can break if you’re not careful.
Our second Oregon product, this sharpener comes with three grinding wheels of differing thicknesses.
It has a great cam system for securing the chain and an excellent wheel adjuster so that you can hit both sides of a chain’s blades.
This is also a powerful grinder that has a full .038 horsepower under its hood.
• With three different grinding stones for different types of chains, it’ll be easy to decide how many times can you sharpen a chainsaw chain with this device.
• With practice, changing the angles of this device is a cinch.
• Some users have found this unit to be a bit complicated during setup. Figuring how to sharpen a chainsaw chain with this device may take some time.
• The grip can become flimsy after extended uses.
Sharpening Chainsaw Blade – Conclusion
The Oregon 511AX Saw Chain Bench Grinder/Sharpener is a good choice for a workshop sharpener but should a tool be wanted in the field then the
Timber Tuff CS-12V 12-Volt Portable Electric Chain Saw Chain Sharpener would be a good prospect.