A wood thickness planer tool is a very useful tool to obtain several pieces of wood to the same thickness. Therefore removing tedious hand planing. Being able to purchase stock items that are close to the thickness required.
A tip I found very useful to avoid snipe on exit of the piece from the planer. Pass the piece to be planed with another parallel piece under it. I found that melamine very good to use, but if using the thickness indicator on the machine add the melamine size.
Following is the five top selling wood thickness planer’s:
Makita 2012NB 12-Inch Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp
It is designed with four posts and cross diagonal supports to provide stability,
Quiet running with a no load speed of 5,500 revs/minute.
Support is provided by large table extensions.
A L.E.D indicator lamp to show the unit is plugged into a power source.
The easy changed cutting blades are double edged and are disposable when dull.
An optional dust hood to connect to a dust collection system is available.
The detachable tool box is there to for storage of standard equipment.
Maximum planing thickness of 6-3/32” with adjustable stops for repetitive cuts to be made.
POWERTEC PL1252 15 Amp 2-Blade Benchtop Thickness Planer For Woodworking | 12-1/2 in. Portable
A powerful cutter and able to make deep cuts in hardwoods.
- Replacement EZ blade using index pin to set up.
- Spindle lock to change blades.
- Professional work piece roller to assist planing long boards.
- Greater stability and precision using a 4 column design.
- 1-year manufacturer limited warranty.
- 2 horsepower universal motor.
- Head cutter speed – 9400 RPM.
- Width of stock – 12.5” maximum.
- Depth of cut – 3/32” boards less than 5”.
- 1/32” boards between 5” – 12.5”.
- A dust collection port not included but can be purchased.
WEN 6552T 13 in. 15 Amp 3-Blade Benchtop Corded Thickness Planer
Having a Tri-roller feed system to assist eliminate snipe. There are foldable feed tables for longer lengths of boards.
A rubber-gripped adjustment handle for depth of cut a quarter turn adjusts 1/64”.
To eliminate dust there is a dust extract port to which a suitable dust extractor can be attached.
- Plan board sizes-6” thick x 13” wide.
- Motor 15 amp. 25,500 cuts/minute.
- Board through rate 26 ft/minute.
Delta Power Tools 22-555 13 In Portable Thickness Planer
A quick change reversible cutting knife arrangement no alignment jig required.
Input/output tables to support long wood pieces to reduce snipe.
Dust port reversible to connect dust extractor right/left.
- Motor controlled with removable key.
- Stock dimensions 13” wide x 6” high maximum.
- 1/8* x 10” minimum.
- Depth of cut 3/32” maximum.
- Feed rate 28 ft/minute.
- Cutting speed 18,000/minute.
- Nitrite synthetic rubber indeed/outfeed rollers.
- Indeed/outfeed tables dimensions 6.75” x 13”.
- 2 cutting knives.
- Knife dimensions: 333mm X 12mm X 1.5mm.
DEWALT Thickness Planer, Two Speed, 13-Inch (DW735)
A accurate and fast depth adjustment, the cutting knives are reversible and disposable.
With a two speed gear box permits changing feed speed, between 96 and 179 cuts/inch.
Chip ejection fan-assisted vacuums chips from the cutter-head, exhausting them from the planer.
The infeed/outfeed tables give 33.5” of material support.
The maximum depth of cut 1/8”, depth wood capacity 6” and width 12.5”.
Planer is sturdy and weighs 80 lbs.
- Amps. 15.
- Unloaded speed 10,000 rpm.
- Depth of cut. 1/8”.
- Depth Capacity 6 inches.
- Width capacity 13 inches.
- Tool weight 92 pounds.
- Shipping weight 100 pounds.
Wood Thickness Planer – Review
The above review will give you a good indication what is available and the specifications of each model. They all do what is required of them and can give you the results required. The two models considered to have a little extra to offer are the Delta Power Tools 22-555 13 In Portable Thickness Planer and the DEWALT Thickness Planer, Two Speed, 13-Inch. The DeWalt of course is a well known throughout the woodworking fraternity for its high product standards.